Wednesday, January 16, 2013

PED's Make Pro Sports More Exciting


Performing enhancing drugs (PED's) have been a large part of our current era of professional sports. We've witnessed the careers of many of our heroes be ruined because of their association with PED's. The guys that seemed to be super-human may have had some help. Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens, Sammy Sosa, Mark McGuire, Jose Canseco, Lance Armstrong, etc. etc. etc. The list could go on forever, but the point I'm making is that this is the reality of professional sports.

I'm sure many players have played by the rules. However, playing by the rules doesn't always create great entertainment for the fans. I remember watching Mark McGuire hit his 70-something home run against the Pirates. I was there. The ball landed a few rows away from me. At the time, he was in a home run slug fest with Sammy Sosa and it was one of the most exhilarating things I've ever witnessed as a baseball fan.

Barry Bonds was amidst a hall of fame career during this time and his great play was overshadowed by the PED-using sluggers. Bonds decided to join the party. Bonds was so exciting to watch post-PED that I would stop to watch his at bats if a game were on TV. I couldn't get enough of it.

Imagine if the NFL truly begins to cut down on PED's. I'm sure they have to an extent, but most human bodies aren't capable of reaching the plateau achieved by many of these players. When the speed, size, and strength are diminished - the game becomes less exciting.


I'm sure my point of view isn't popular, but I would argue that PED's improved professional sports. The days of watching 500+ ft home runs is over and has been replaced with 1-0 pitchers duels.

Call it cheating...call it what you want. Just know that you will likely never see a one-testicled man win 7 Tour de France's again in your lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment