Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Tony Beasley....Pessimistic?



The Pirates winter caravan made its annual stop in Altoona yesterday and I enjoyed the opportunity to meet several Pirates players, coaches, and broadcasters. (Nate McLouth, Ross Ohlendorf, Paul Maholm, Tony Beasley, Greg Brown, and John Wehner. I got plenty of autographs and most of the guys were pretty open to discussion.


I talked to McLouth about how he plays the game the right way...I talked to Maholm about how he's been working out in the off season to try to replicate his stellar 2008 season. Then I got to Pirate 3rd base coach Tony Beasley.....I asked Beasley if he thought that the Pirates were going to be able to prevent their 17th consecutive losing season. I was stunned when he thought about the question, chuckled, and then didn't answer for about 30 seconds. When he looked up at me, he said, "All we can do is try our best".

Philosophically speaking, Beasley is right. But, there was not an ounce of optimism in his response. Take it for what its worth..

No comments:

Post a Comment